I did a video this past week for my women of the bible series all about Lots wife. As I said in the video, the scripture doesn't give us much information on Lot's wife and yet we know her story is important to pay attention to because in the book of Luke, Yahweh said, "Remember Lot's Wife"
As Lot and his family were fleeing Sodom and Gomorrah before its imminent demise, the angels of Adonai told them, don't look back or you will die. Lot's wife, in direct disobedience to what she had been told turned to look back at the city and the life she was leaving behind. The sulfurous fumes of the brimstone consumed her, and she was turned into a pillar of salt; a monument of a warning to others about a disobedient heart.
So, what does the story of Lot's wife mean for our modern daily lives in the renewed covenant through the blood of Messiah Yeshua? It means, "Don't Look Back"! When you come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, you become a new creation, born again, forgiven, set free, washed clean, and adopted (its awesome I know!). While you have a new authority over the enemy through Yeshua's name, your adversary will still whisper those whispers in your ear to try and get you to stumble, backslide, doubt, and look back. Understand that at this point, the enemy is pretty pissed that he couldn't stop you from getting saved, so now, his main goal is to keep you from walking in the fullness of God's purpose for you in the kingdom. He will say, "Don't you miss this?" or "Remember how good that felt" , etc etc... blah blah blah. Basically, he's saying, "Look back" ... same thing he did to Lot's wife. She was enjoying the pleasures of the wicked city, the indulgences, fancy things, and luxuries. The angel said to them, just look forward to where God is bringing you. I can promise you that NOTHING you are leaving behind can even compare to what God has ahead for you. Even though the Christian walk can be tough and full or sanctification, remember that no eye has seen or ear has heard all that awaits those who love Him!!! EEK! (super exciting)
A deeper level to this, is that when you look back, death can come (spiritual or physical) just like what happened to Lot's wife. If we choose to look back we can become tempted to go back to our old ways, the old man, our old sin. Stepping out from under God's protection and going back into sin can only lead to destruction and pain. So, remember Lot's wife and continue to look FORWARD to all that God has for you.
Blessings and Shalom.
3 cups filtered water
1 cup dried or fresh elderberries If you have them local (I use dry)
3 cinnamon sticks or ground cinnamon (optional)
A pinch of ground ginger and ground clove (optional)
3/4-1 cup raw local honey
1. Place dried elderberries into filtered water in a saucepan or medium pot.
2. Bring to a quick gentle boil and then immediately lower heat to low medium (too much heat can kill off the healing properties of the elderberries). Leave on heat for 30 mins.
3. Remove from heat and mash the elderberries to release any extra juice.
4. Strain into a glass bowl with either a cheesecloth of mesh strainer (If squeezing with a cheesecloth you may want to use gloves as elderberry will stain your hands)
5. When the mixture has come to room temp or lower (takes about 20-30 mins), gently stir in the raw honey and mix it in thoroughly. The reason for this is that you don't want the heat to destroy the healing antibiotic goodness in the honey.
6. Filter into glass bottles and enjoy!
Preventative- One teaspoon once or twice a day
When illness strikes around you or it strikes you- 3 teaspoons 4 times a day until you are in the clear
Why it's awesome:
Elderberry syrup is loaded with antioxidants, vitamin C, and immune supporting minerals .... oh and it takes amazing too!
Members of Philia and affiliated ministries