3 cups filtered water
1 cup dried or fresh elderberries If you have them local (I use dry)
3 cinnamon sticks or ground cinnamon (optional)
A pinch of ground ginger and ground clove (optional)
3/4-1 cup raw local honey
1. Place dried elderberries into filtered water in a saucepan or medium pot.
2. Bring to a quick gentle boil and then immediately lower heat to low medium (too much heat can kill off the healing properties of the elderberries). Leave on heat for 30 mins.
3. Remove from heat and mash the elderberries to release any extra juice.
4. Strain into a glass bowl with either a cheesecloth of mesh strainer (If squeezing with a cheesecloth you may want to use gloves as elderberry will stain your hands)
5. When the mixture has come to room temp or lower (takes about 20-30 mins), gently stir in the raw honey and mix it in thoroughly. The reason for this is that you don't want the heat to destroy the healing antibiotic goodness in the honey.
6. Filter into glass bottles and enjoy!
Preventative- One teaspoon once or twice a day
When illness strikes around you or it strikes you- 3 teaspoons 4 times a day until you are in the clear
Why it's awesome:
Elderberry syrup is loaded with antioxidants, vitamin C, and immune supporting minerals .... oh and it takes amazing too!